Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Signs of Growing Up

 Mira has hit some major milestones in her childhood journey. This week in particular, I have witnessed a new Mira. The slowly maturing Mira. The Mira who is compassionate, open, communicative and loving. She makes me so proud. She seems so aware of the things that are happening around her.

Since well before leaving for India, Mira has been playing with a wiggly tooth in the front of her mouth. Finally, Monday morning, the tooth came out while Mira was eating her cereal. I don't think that I have seen her more excited with this little morsel of tooth sitting in the palm of her hand and a newly formed gap in her smile.

Of course, her and I went right to work finding the perfect place for her tooth and writing the perfect note for the tooth fairy. She wanted to make it perfectly clear that her tooth would be waiting for the tooth fairy in a little hand made chest (teeny weeny) she made.

The nice thing about having the tooth fairy visit, is that there is no hesitation on Mira's behalf to get her supper eaten, her pajamas on and her books read in anticipation of having to be asleep. Eager doesn't even begin to describe Mira last night when it came to bed time.

In addition to this very tactful sign of her growing up, Mira has been eerily compliant and co-operative. There is no battles over what we are having for dinner. There are no battles over what to wear in the morning (she normally fights me to wear a skirt). It's like she just knows that it doesn't really matter. As if she knows that they aren't things worth fighting over. We all do things that we don't really want to do from time to time and we just make the most of it. It's really as if her whole perspective on things has changed. She is so agreeable. Not that she was ever overly disagreeable. Not by any stretch. But her outlook is much more "adult". Mature.

I have no idea if this is just a stage, but I'm appreciating it. I'm loving it. I'm loving watching my little 5 1/2 year old girl blossom into this little soon-to-be teenager, where the battles will likely get tougher. For now though, she's still my little 5 year old......with a gap toothed smile.

No comments: