Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Exercise with Baby on Board

I have managed to maintain a fairly active lifestyle with this pregnancy. After a few complications early on in the pregnancy which required me to give up the running, I adjusted and I was able to come up with an exercise regime that was attainable and sustainable. Is it my ideal workout? No. Not even close.

However, I have considered the last 7 months without running, to be a "break" from it. The body suffers a great deal of wear and tear after 21 years of consistent running, especially running through one previous pregnancy. Rather than see my abandonment of running (albeit temporary) as a major negative, I tried to stay  positive and see it as a time for my body to heal any long standing injuries (nagging or not) and focus on merely keeping my fitness up for the big D day. My focus has been on staying healthy and working up a sweat most days of the week (unless I'm REALLY worn out).

It's been hard to look outside and see the sun shining and hear the sidewalks calling my name, beckoning me to come for a run. This is the time of year that I typically look forward to. However, I have something more important to look forward to in about a months time. :)

No comments: