Friday, February 8, 2013

Snow Day

 Outside the weather is atrocious. It has been snowing hard since last night and it isn't showing any signs of stopping. Schools were cancelled today (we anticipated they would be) and I have found myself cooped up inside with two sickies (Grayson and Geoff have the stomach flu) and a little 6 year old girl who is trying to make the most of a day home from school.

Unfortunately, we live in the middle of a construction zone right now, which means that throwing Mira's snow pants and snow boots on and sending her outside is not an option. Way too many hazards for my liking.

The roads are too cruddy to travel anywhere, and even if they were somewhat maneuverable, two of us are housebound with the pukes.


This meant that I had to find someway of entertaining Mira. Luckily for me, she loves crafts and I am even luckier that she got a ton of craft stuff for Christmas and her birthday.

We started out by making a sock monkey. "We" is a term I use very loosely here folks. It started out with Mira stuffing one of the monkey's ears and a leg. It ended with me sewing for 5 hours. Stuffing each of the limbs, ears, mouth, tail and then sewing them onto the little monkey body. I then had to sew on the button eyes. My sock monkey looks a little lopsided in the face (unintentional), but it makes it look like it's smirking.

We then moved onto making some really pretty party lights with a party light making kit. It involved some colouring and some light insertions, but they came out really well.

Other things we have done, trying to make the most of the indoors:
-planned a few aspects of the wedding
-made some baby food
-laundry
-cleaned up baby puke
-shoveled out the truck

Some of those things are not exactly what I call enjoyable, but at least some stuff is done so that tomorrow we can get out and make the most of our day outside of the house.

No comments: