Monday, September 17, 2012

Starting New

Tomorrow our little house goes up on the market. It will officially be for sale.

As much as I'm excited about the prospect of getting our new place and having more space for our growing family, I'm sad. I'm sad to say goodbye to this little place. This place is special for both Geoff and I.

We have both seen this little townhouse as a fresh start. We both had fresh starts independent from one another. This townhouse has been good to us and it holds a lot of great memories.

When I was a newly single mom to Mira (she was just over a year old), I lived on my own in a rented apartment. My father urged me to buy a property to call my own and to start building my equity. As much as I was all for that, I was concerned about the costs of a home. I took a walk one afternoon with Sasha and I walked through the neighbourhood where I now live. I fell in love with it because of the established forests and the quiet streets (perfect for a small girl). I fell in love with the park and the feeling that my child could be safe and happy here.

I found a property that was for sale that backed right onto the park. It was just too good to be true when I found that the place was well within my budget (especially since it was the start of the recession). It was the perfect size for just Mira and I. I made an offer and *presto!* it was mine. It was my pride and joy. It was my first solo trip into home ownership. I had owned a couple of houses with my ex-husband, but there is something to be said about owning a house all on your own.

Eventually Geoff came into the picture and he was looking for a place to be happy and heal from his own past. It became what he calls "his sanctuary". It's where we first learned about one another and grew close together. It's where we dealt with sorrow with the loss of Dudley and Sasha. It's where we have celebrated our first Christmases together. We held our first Boxing Day party (10th annual). It's where Mira and Geoff came to realize that they were family for one another. It's where we welcomed our little Grayson into the world. We have spent countless hours snuggled up watching movies together, on the back deck with our neighbours and its just home. Our sweet home. As small as it is, it is home. I will be sad to leave it. It has meant so much to us and has contributed to our own personal growth stories. Now it is time for someone else to experience the same. I'm sure that the right person or family will come along and want the same that I did.

Time to move on with my family.....move onto the next chapter.

No comments: