Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Yogi In Me

Back in the summer, I had mentioned my desire to take up a new hobby, preferably one that was physically beneficial. With 2 kids and bus schedule to adhere to, it has been difficult to find something that is a) cheap (or free)-being on maternity leave is costly, b) kid-minding friendly and c) physically beneficial.

One option has been sitting right in front of me all along and it went unnoticed. I'm not entirely sure why I didn't consider it earlier, other than there is always a fear or hesitation of the unknown. I had a fear of trying something new with a group of people who have been doing it for a long time. I'm not sure of the protocol, what type of people partake and how I would feel physically. Would I be able to keep up?

I'm talking about yoga. My gym provides group classes called Yogafit and Bodyflow.I have always wanted to try yoga but I didn't want to spend the outrageous money it would cost to belong to a yoga gym. Cost effectiveness is at the top of my "must-haves". Well, included in the price of my gym, I can do yoga!! They have AT LEAST one or two options per day for either of the classes. Yogafit is yoga. Pretty traditional and standard. It seems to be quite a bit more relaxed than the Bodyflow, which is a combination of Thai Chi, pilates and yoga. Both have their benefits and I have enjoyed both classes.

These classes are included with my gym membership and the best part is that I already have the "child minding" condition met. My gym provides great childcare that works really well with all of the classes. Grayson loves going to the daycare and I'm happy to have great girls working in there to play with him while I do something for myself. This is important to me knowing the rest of the day is all about Grayson, Mira and Geoff. 

Even more than enjoying the class atmosphere is the way I FEEL. Already, I feel the benefits. After having two babies, my joints (especially the pelvis/back) are all out of whack. I have successfully lost the baby weight and toned most parts of my body, but I need to be functionally balanced and strong.

Yoga is my perfect fit. My running plus yoga/pilates/thai chi will produce a very healthy and strong body that can keep up with anything I throw at it (including chasing after two little kids). Yay for yoga!

No comments: